Monday, March 20, 2006

Happy spring! I won't bother apologizing again for the lack of posting; at this point I'm just the blogger who cried 'busy.' Nothing's wrong, everything's fine, I'm doing what I can.

So, it's springtime! Even though we're expecting snow tomorrow. But that's okay, because even if it's too cold to wear sunny styles it's not too early to buy them. Some people garden, others clean; I shop. The spring harvest invariably yields yet another pair of cargo pants, a stack of tank tops I really don't need, and at least one 'pretty' item that will never see the outside of my closet. Someday I might accept that my (mutually exclusive) fondness for lace and button-down shirts is not a fondness at all, just a fleeting lapse in judgment. (in·san·i·ty n. : Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.) I am still learning to be girly; I only bought my first pair of thigh-high stockings last fall, and I wore them once. On Halloween. Maybe I'm not cut out for this 'sophisticated woman' thing after all.

But still, shop I shall, and soon these bulky sweaters will retreat to the high shelf, the undershirt will become the only shirt, reluctant shoulders and knees will reacquaint themselves with the sensation of breezes on bare skin. As in a reunion with a long-absent, long-distance lover, I'm a little shy at first... but my body remembers and that naked consciousness, that conscious nakedness, will vanish, in a moment, on the wind.

14 comments:

Paulo said...

Good to see you back in all your deliciousness.

Ewww. Cheesy.

~Paulo

Kayla said...

You look fetching in your camel sweater... :)

I love warm weather...and warm weather clothes.

Velvet said...

Hey...Paulo, a.k.a. John Oates is back.

I don't look forward to getting my fatness out into the light of day. Damn. I really have to buckle down on these last 10 lbs.

Reya Mellicker said...

Spring harvest? Make me laugh! Thanks, Danielle for naming perfectly the sensation - "reluctant" shoulders and knees. Yes yes yes.

Washington Cube said...

I've already done the closet/shoe purging thing, buying new clothes thing. I need to get started on the total clean house Spring thing.

Sterculian Rhetoric said...

"I am still learning to be girly;"

So am I!
I've a massive goo on to go shoe shopping. Interested?

East-West Girl said...

You've always had a smashing wardrobe. Nordstrom Rack must love you during the spring season ;)

always write said...

east-west: Thank you, darling; I do miss the shop talk with you. Come back and visit for the fall sales!

bilious: Yes, absolutely, if you'll tag along to my hair appointment first. We'll make a day of it.

Shannon said...

It's all about winter here. Love those switched seasons. I shall live vicariously through you for the next few months. Goodbye shortsleeved shirts...until we meet again.

Merujo said...

What a lovely post to welcome spring. Unfortunately, my knees and shoulders pretty much stay covered all year round (it's for the good of all, really.) But I shall live that vicariously through you, D.

Sorry I temporarily dropped off the face of the earth. I'm crawling back... :-)

Barbara said...

You sound totally in LOVE. How exciting!

Sterculian Rhetoric said...

Semper Scripta.
Stop inventing imaginary lovers on the phone and post something new! Sheesh.

housediggity said...

Won't the relationship turn sour in the summer? There's nothing positive that can be said about the DC humidity.

always write said...

If you ain't sweatin' sometimes, it ain't true love. And for the rest of the time there's A/C.