Wednesday, February 08, 2006

cold irony

Under the plexiglass shelter of my bus stop, during rush hour, just after the sun's gone down on this bitterly cold night, a homeless man wriggles into a pair of bright blue pajama pants, working them up inch by inch over the jeans, sweats and thermals he's already been wearing for who-knows-how-long. He mutters happily under his breath, pleased as punch with this new layer of his onion. His fingers are nearly black with dirt and in all the tugging they leave a smudge on the flannel pattern -- dozens and dozens of big yellow circles with whimsical letters that read, "The Good Life!"

7 comments:

Kristin said...

I remember the first time I visited NYC. I kept seeing homeless people wearing Perry Ellis America sweatshirts.

Barbara said...

It's hard to believe that there are so many people who spend night after night out there in the cold. I'm sure they give little thought to what they wear -- just hoping for more layers of their particular onions. This is the reality that makes me realize what a good life I have.

Reya Mellicker said...

Wow.

Washington Cube said...

Are you trying to break our hearts?

As for your and Kristin's comments, it's always horrible to see impoverished people wearing things that symbolize the dream. I continue to see a widening margin between the have's and have not's. Thank you for your observation this morning.

RoarSavage said...

So sad. Is it just me, or are there more homeless people in DC lately? The wealth differential is up, isn't it? Anyone know what's being done or what we can do? No, really. I'm serious.

Confucius said...

“When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure”

Larissa said...

awww. just last night i was driving on Constitution and saw two homeless people sleeping on top of this enormous amount of billowing street fog coming from a sidewalk vent. it was keeping them warm, but yeah so sad.