Thursday, December 22, 2005

I feel like I just spent three hours backstage at Lilith Fair.

What a treat to meet some new guys at the December blogger meetup, and to see again a couple more. But this one... this one was for the girls. I had the divine pleasure of schmoozing with some of the most delightful women, the most gifted writers, I may ever know. Ladies, you are all rock stars to me. (You too, even though you weren't there. Or were you.....?)

It was surreal, sublime and incredibly difficult to be surrounded by these women I've been so anxious to meet. I likened it to having a dozen browser windows open at once; So much information to take in, plus too much noise, activity and smoke (it drives me to distraction) to concentrate on anyone for more than a second at a time. A ladies' lunch may be in the works, which would thrill me to no end because there's so much I want to know about all of you and I just couldn't focus enough to ask the right questions tonight, let alone fully absorb your answers.

This feels a bit like the aftermath of a first date. Was I too awkward? Did I talk too much? Did I talk enough? Could they tell I was nervous? Was there a booger in my nose? Why can't we just skip this part and get to the comfort zone? God, I hope they call.

In related news, Sunday afternoon marked my sixth annual Girls' Nite holiday gathering. Every few months since 1999, six former co-workers have assembled to eat, drink and be our fabulous selves. The venue may change -- we take turns hosting -- but always there are cocktails, home-cooked meals and, at holiday time, an exchange of small, creative, meaningful gifts.


Grape juice and vodka: heaven in a martini glass.


The Girls were amazed by my bottomless capacity for love and Nicoise salad.


This year I made little Harry & David-inspired goodie boxes,

and wrapped them up with pretty bows. (Details, details!)


Guess who gave out this goodie. Go on, guess.


These Girls and I, we've seen each other through some major life changes; forces of growth and destruction, bliss and pain. All of us -- the wives, the mothers and the steadfastly single -- are powerfully independent. Conversations may touch on shopping and skincare but typically steer toward home improvement and retirement funds. From the outside we don't seem to have much in common: Our ages, backgrounds, lifestyles and personalities are all over the map. I'd say the same is true of the bloggers I met tonight. And yet we're all bonded, I think, by our love for womanhood and the affirmation we glean from being women together.

This is getting a little schmaltzy and I'm starting to make myself sick, like when I'm forced to watch "The View." I'll close with the lyrics of an appropriately nauseating ditty:


Thank you for being a friend.
Travel down the road and back again.
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant.
And if you threw a party
and invited everyone you kneeeewwwww,
you would see
the biggest gift would be from me
and the card attached would say,
"Thank you for bein' a frieeeennnnnd."
(do-do dooo doo doo dooooooo......)


There, I feel much better now.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me you're referring to the original version of the song, not 'The Golden Girls' remake?

vty,

Lonely Boy

Jamy said...

It was great to see you again and talk a little more this time.

Could I tell you were nervous? Yes, I suppose, but I thought it was sweet. I hope we can get together soon in a quieter place where I can actually hear what you say. :)

always write said...

There was an original version...?

Washington Cube said...

Your party design looks lovely.

Sounds like you had a good time last night. I was not there, but rather in Baltimore, and I'll be blogging about it later today.

Barbara said...

Meeting you was one of the highlights of the evening for me. You absolutely didn't talk too much...or too little. I'm with you on a quieter place next time --a piano bar would definitely be my preference. My voice just doesn't carry well and I have a hard time making myself understood in a bar. Non-smoking would be just fine by me also. I too had this "first date" feeling, already thinking about the next date. It wasn't just you. I kept thinking, why can't my son meet someone like these nice girls? I guess I'm starting to sound like a Jewish mother...

Reya Mellicker said...

I, too, have wonderful friends. We are so lucky!

The blogger salon was surreal but wonderful, and yes a civilized lunch in a more serene location would be great. After the first of the year?

Velvet said...

I'm the last to comment! SAD! I was away from my computer all day and am just now catching up. It was great to meet you too, you didn't have a booger in your nose and you didn't talk too much.

Voting yes on the quieter place.

eddie said...

Great to meet you, aw. Thanks for dropping by and leaving the lovely note. *blush* again.

playfulinnc said...

Wonderful to meet you! I always feel like the extroverted freak at these things, but I just hope that I can calm down in the presence of such cool people one day or another.

:)

JOYS said...

I didn't share my rice krispy treat!

:)