Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The introvert went out

...and made some friends.

There was another blogger happy hour at Pharaoh's in Adams Morgan tonight, and this time more than five people came. It was more like eight or ten or so -- I'm not sure exactly, I spent most of the night at one end of the bar clinging to Merujo, ostensibly because I don't like crowds but also because, well, she's cool as shit and tells awesome stories.

Frank was there -- I just adore Frank, such a sincere and interesting guy -- and he brought a copy of his new book. Buy it. It's beautiful.

And you were there. And you, and you -- who apparently work in my office building and ride the elevator with me from time to time. Small world.

I was talking with a friend the other day about how the Internet is growing simultaneously broader and more intimate, and I remarked that it's the natural progression of things for a space or an entity -- like the blogosphere -- to reach a certain size and then start to divide. And later that day AJ said something about bloggers tending to run in the same circles; After clicking around a bit beyond my usual haunts I'm inclined to say that's true. Our universe has become so vast that in order to manage it we've broken off into our own solar systems -- some defined by geography, others by interests, and others by a common readership that almost sorta makes us... friends. I'll drink to that. Actually, I just did.

See you at the next meetup.

11 comments:

AJ Gentile said...

And the bloggers I'm meeting also tend to share the same slight agoraphobic proclivity that I have.

Which, in an ironic way, makes it a bit easier to go out and meet them.

Eric the Something said...

Okay, so I followed the link to the Meetup site and I found a group of 5 "stay at home moms" that meets in my area. My question is this; If you are a stay at home mom, and you leave home to go to a meeting, haven't you reliquished your stay-at-home status?

Washington Cube said...

It's quite the imagine of bloggers getting together. Do you discuss blogging and develop theoretical ideas about blogging and is this Paris 1921 all over again...the dawn of a new burst/form of creativity...or no?

Anonymous said...

Danielle,

It was wonderful to see you again as well. :) I really dig these meetups for many reasons, chief among them being the vast diversity of people we meet. I always walk home thinking how snazzy it is to meet fellow explorers in the world of shared experience.

And yes, I shall be at the next one as well. See you there, if not sooner. ;)

Martin

Kayla said...

If the hot tall guy from our office building (what floor? 6th? I can't remember!) who makes me drool was there... I will be so pissed ;).

Merujo said...

It was very, very cool to finally meet you! And what a lovely bonus to meet Martin, Frank, Alex, Rob & Co. I'm so glad I didn't let the crappy weather stop me from coming and hanging out.

Claire said...

Well, as a total introvert myself, I applaud you for going out and talking to strangers. Well, not strangers exactly... but still, putting yourself out with a group of people: good job!

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry that I didn't realize that you were you and that I wasn't very social last night! I am generally an extrovert but I stuck to my end of the tables.

always write said...

Oh, Kristin, I didn't realize you were you either! This morning Kayla said "So, did you meet Kristin?" and I was like, "Shit. Don't tell me I looked her right in the face and didn't say hi." But alas, I did. I'm sorry.

It's nice to remember seeing you, if not to have met you :) Next time we'll drink together.

Rabbit said...

Whoa, you people go OUT?

SMR said...

You know the Postsecret dude? Dude, I love that blog. I read it ALL the time. Crazy. What a small world.