Tuesday, November 22, 2005


I took this picture on Sunday while one of my oldest friends was visiting from out of town. Huddled over my camera's tiny viewfinder -- just like we used to crouch over Jennifer's Easy-Bake Oven -- I declared that "We still look like a couple of kids," and promised to e-mail the image as soon as I got home.

An hour later I was staring at the picture on my 15-inch screen and my eyes were drawn to... my eyes. To creases I'd never noticed. Real, grown-up, been-around-the-block, I-know-how-to-walk-in-heels, let-me-show-you-how-to-work-that-power-drill, I-don't-need-a-boyfriend-but-I'll-take-you-as-my-lover creases. I was mesmerized. I adored them instantly.

Is this odd? Aren't women supposed to rue the day their wrinkles arrive? Is this my cue to toss the soap-n-sunscreen regimen and start using words like "collagen" and "peel"? I'm sure I'd feel differently if I'd noticed, say, a sagging neck or train tracks across my forehead (all in good time). But there's something about that crinkle in the corner of my eye that lends a deep, rich texture to my self-expression. It substantiates my stories. Punctuates my jokes. Implies all the empathy, passion, warmth, lust and joy I've always struggled to convey. A prism to refract the twinkle in my eye, an ornament that gilds the window to my soul... This, right here, is character, and it only deepens with age. What in the world is not beautiful about that?

10 comments:

Paulo said...

Should we have a spring wedding? I've always fancied the idea of getting married in May. That'll give us plenty of time to work out the minor details... like meeting, for instance.

Your brain is beautiful.

~Paulo

Paulo said...

Of course, so is your picture.

always write said...

Way to make me swoon, Paulo ;)

Springtime works for me. (Now I picture John Oates beaming at me under the chuppah.) I'm thinking a jazz band and maybe some other entertainment... Does your drunk aunt do weddings?

Dora said...

Nice post. Poetic, yet not over the top. I think that the reason you don't mind the wrinkle is because you are obviously happy with who you have become and therefore, can wear it proudly as a sign of your achievements...that, or because it is such a little "imperfection" on what seems to be an otherwise beautiful face...either way it's all good.

always write said...

Thank you, Dora :) Imperfections are great, aren't they? Without them nobody would remember us.

The Daily Rant said...

I agree with Paolo. Not about us having a wedding in May, but about your brain being beautiful.

I loved your post, agreeing with you also about how every wrinkle is beautiful...and most likely has a story.

But I have to say...your eyes are a gorgeous color and your eyebrows are FANTASTIC. I'm a bit of an eyebrow nut and I do a happy dance when I see someone with perfectly groomed ones. It frames the window to your soul so elegantly.

AJ Gentile said...

I agree that some lines add character to a face and help tell a story.

But, sister, ain't nothing wrong with your face. Heck, I don't see any creases.

Really. I don't.

Maybe if you come a liiiiittle closer and show me.

the deal said...

that's a kick ass photo, you should just send that out to any potential dates...it will do the trick, trust us guys ;-)

Eric the Something said...

Holy Hell! You are the one that has been peeking in my keyhole! I'd recognize that iris anywhere. Ya sick freak.

Angelina said...

Hell, I can't wait for the day people stop saying, "gee, I thought you were 22, 23" and start treating me like the nearly 30 year old woman I am. My eye cream, I know, it's superb, but get over it. I'm still smarter and wiser than you, shrimpy.