Thursday, September 22, 2005

pretty woman

I don't think I'm breaking the Blogger Code of Privacy by posting these pictures, since they're nearly 30 years old. I've been a little hard on my Mom, and though I don't plan to ease up on her any time soon (read my archives, you'll see why), it's only fair I should show her in a flattering light now and again.

Yesterday I wrote about how beautiful she was when she was younger (and, really, she's still a looker). And then last night I found these pictures from my 2nd and 3rd birthday parties (1977 & 1978), and I thought I'd offer up some nostalgic show and tell.

*I love the little hand extending a cookie from the lower left corner of this photo*
See how pretty? I think my mother is proof positive that God dispenses good looks to the most annoying among us, much the way babies are cute and big-headed so we won't give in to the temptation to leave them on a park bench when they scream too long. Acutally I do leave my mother on a park bench when she screams too long, and she always follows me home.

Apropo to these pictures I want to say that nobody threw a birthday party like my Mom. She was, and remains, the reigning queen of do-it-yourself entertaining. All she ever needed was food coloring and a few big ideas; Every birthday party featured some inspired confection, like the famous green-frosted sheet cake cut in the shape of the Incredible Hulk. Actually that one was for my brother; He had The Hulk action figures, Underoos, the whole nine yards. I was sort of partial to Wonder Woman, but I had a hard time finding a superhero I could really identify with. Guess I needed someone more relatable, like "Neurotica: Strikes doubt into the hearts of the well-adjusted with the crushing power of her irrational fears! (Prozac and hand sanitizer sold separately.)" Now there's a crimefighter I could get behind.

Where was I going with this...? Oh, right, say something nice about Mom. She's a beautiful lady -- I should really stop rolling my eyes and just be grateful when people tell me we look alike. In spite of our turbulent relationship, I can't deny that she has a gigantic heart and would do absolutely anything for her children, all four of us, and the rest of her family too. And that is why we let her stay love her.

10 comments:

ChrisWoznitza said...

Hi I´m Chris. Greatings from Germany Bottrop !!

Kayla said...

Your mom is stunning (and so are you).. Don't even get me started on Cookie Monster.. Talk about a Looker!! Me Want Cooo-kie!! (a monster after my own heart). Be thankful your mom doesn't sport mom jeans, oversized t-shirts and orthopedic shoes... like my mom. Talk about frightening.

SMR said...

Wow, D. You DO look alike in that picture with Cookie Monster. I, too, had Cookie Monster once at my party. Except mine just wore one of those shitty Halloween costume masks, and his rubber band broke like 10 minutes in, so imagine my horror when Cookie Monster turned out to be my neighbor John. John, you bastard.

SMR said...

Hmm, let me rephrase that. You look like your mother, NOT Cookie Monster.

always write said...

Thanks for clarifying.

I miss you, SMR. This winter will be our 10th anniversary! When it gets cold here can I come visit you in L.A.?

Kayla said...

oh my god. smr's comment (shitty cookie monster costume) just made me spit my water out on my keyboard. Damn you, smr. ;)

AJ Gentile said...

Oh my. She is rather fetching.

My mom dresses like Kayla's mom.

(sigh)

Which reminds me. I owe Ma a phone call.

Gotta go...

Antiviral22 said...

Le'Chaim le'kach!!

Claire said...

As a kid, I was never too fond of large costumed characters, but now seeing Cookie Monster hanging with you and your mom... well, I'm in awe.

Eric the Something said...

My mom did a Cookie Monster cake for my brother and a totally kick ass fire truck for me, with licorice hoses and Pep-O-Mint Lifesavers for hubcaps. Gotta love your mom!