Monday, September 19, 2005

I don't usually post undisguised photos of my friends and family, but I'm just so proud of this one. Last week my Grandma traveled by herself to Poland to clean up the gravesites of a few relatives buried before World War II. She's 79, legally blind, four feet nine-and-a-half inches of piss, vinegar and chutzpah. This is a photo of her standing at the grave of her great grandfather, a rabbi who died in the 1880s in her hometown of Lodz. So that headstone is 120 years old, give or take.

Grandma came back pleased to report that many of the buildings in Lodz have been beautifully restored. It's so lovely -- "like Prague," she said -- that it looks almost like the city of her childhood, before the Nazis sealed the community into a ghetto and later shipped them off to Auschwitz.

I have so many stories on this subject; I'm too tired to write any of them now. Just look at this little ball of fire and be inspired to fight through anything life slings at you.


8 comments:

AJ Gentile said...

She's 79??

Please tell me what she eats. She looks fantastic.

always write said...

She eats puppies and small children. And a lot of cabbage.

AJ Gentile said...

Oh forget it. I couldn't do it.

I don't really like cabbage.

always write said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
always write said...

To the anonymous person who keeps linking to my personal information: Why do you care who I am? I don't have much to hide, but I'd prefer to keep my job separate from my blog; It's just not kosher to mix the two. And revealing my home address, that was just mean. And dangerous. Please stop, if you have something to say to me you can send me an e-mail.

AJ Gentile said...

Such folks can usually be traced...

groonk said...

That story is inspiring beyond words.